FAQ for Occupational Therapy

Frequently asked questions

What does an Occupational Therapist Do?

Occupational Therapists work with individuals across the lifespan with the role to maximize one's independence and functional participation in daily activities, leisure activity and learning. We aim to help individuals go throughout their days more easily and develop the skills to help them live more enjoyably and independently. Here at Wildflowers we work with children and young adults who may be struggling with any aspect of their development. This can range from sensory regulation, self-care skills, skills needed for learning such as handwriting and using scissors, making friends and play skills, improving concentration, and fine and gross motor skills.

How do I know if my child needs Occupational Therapy?

If you or anyone supporting your child or young adult (i.e. carers, teachers, Paediatrician, Preschool Educators or Other therapists) are concerned about how they are learning and engaging in their day to day activities or environments, then an Occupational Therapist could help them. It is important to clarify what we mean by ‘daily activities’: this is any activity that one needs to engage in or complete throughout the day such as focusing and learning, getting dressed, eating a meal, participating in sports, toileting, making friends and going to the shops. Pretty much anything they do throughout the day. Some things to look out for include: - Sensory regulation: being able to tolerate and make sense of sensory information, the frequency and duration of ‘meltdowns’ and how active or on-the-go your child is - Movement: being clumsy, fearful of movement and climbing, poor ball skills and being uncoordinated - Fine motor and hand skills: difficulty using hands to do things such as building blocks, drawing, buttons, threading and using cutlery - Self-care skills: difficulty dressing themselves, delayed toileting, following routines, brushing teeth and organising themselves - Handwriting : correctly forming letters and numbers, writing in the lines, using spaces and being able to write sentences - Visual motor skills: being able to write words, find items in busy environments, complete puzzles and ball skills - Social skills: difficulty making and maintaining friendships, tolerating winning and losing, understanding social situations and reading body language

Where can an Occupational Therapist work?

Occupational Therapists can work in a variety of settings such as in clinical settings, within one's natural setting including schools, preschools, workplaces and homes as well as in the community. An Occupational Therapists aim is to improve one's skills and independence to support their participation and engagement within all environments they engage in. Here at Wildflower’s we have the flexibility to see individuals within our clinic space, at preschool, schools and within the home setting.

What Diagnoses do Occupational Therapists work with?

Occupational Therapists work with any individual who experiences difficulty with completing activities of daily living. This may be a result of an injury, diagnosis from birth or developed during life or an environment situation. At Wildflowers we commonly work with individuals whom have a diagnosis of: - Autism - Sensory Processing - ADHD - Developmental Delay - Intellectual Disability - Anxiety - Down Syndrome - Chromosome Disorders

Who do Occupational Therapists work with?

Occupational Therapists work with individuals of all ages. There are services that focus on specific age groups, diagnoses or environments. At Wildflowers our focus is on working with Children and Young Adults.

Do I need a referral to see an Occupational Therapy?

The answer is no, anyone can see an Occupational Therapist. You can call any service and discuss the individual's needs to see if that service is the best fit. Services might discuss completing an assessment to evaluate the individuals needs and see what support they might require.
Here at Wildflowers you can call us to discuss on 46841080 or email info@wildflowerholisticservices.com to share about your child’s or young adults concerns and we are always happy to help, discuss the next steps or book in a session.

How can I pay for Occupational Therapy?

We are aware that Occupational Therapy can be an expensive service to pay for on a regular ongoing basis ($193.99 hr), which is why it's important to determine whether you are eligible to access a number of funded or subsidized programs. At Wildflowers we accept individuals with access to: - NDIS Funding - Here at wildflowers we accept individuals who are plan-managed or self-managed. - Medicare Funding - Here at Wildflowers we accept Chronic Disease Management plans, 135 and 137 plans As well as see individuals who are full fee paying, i.e unable to access funded support but willinging to pay the fee.